Saturday, October 5, 2013
21 Or 1227 Facts To Ponder
Some books are too irresistible. One such book is 1,227 Quite Interesting Facts to Blow Your Socks Off.
Media Connect, the PR firm I work for, is promoting this book from Norton. I was thumbing through it the other day and found myself in a trivia stupor.
Here are 21 facts I didn’t know:
1. Light travels 19 million times faster than rain.
2. Kangaroos have three vaginas.
3. The words written on Twitter every day would fill a 10-million-page book.
4. At least 75% of convicted criminals are unable to read or write.
5. Most diamonds are at least 3 billion years old. There are enough diamonds in existence to give everyone on the planet a cupful.
6. The designer of Saddam’s bunker was the grandson of the woman who built Hitler’s bunker.
7. A language dies every 14 days.
8. The U.S. tax code is four times as long as the complete works of Shakespeare.
9. The 10,000 trillion ants in the world weigh about the same as all the human beings.
10. 98% of British homes have carpeted floors. In Italy only 2% do.
11. The same man invented heroin and aspirin -- in the same year -- Felix Hoffman, in 1897.
12. The US retail industry makes $6.8 billion a year from gift cards that no one redeems.
13. If you drilled a tunnel straight through the Earth and jumped in, it would take you exactly 42 minutes and 12 seconds to get to the other side.
14. Lightning strikes the Earth 8.6 million times a day or about 100 times a second. A single bolt of lightning contains enough energy to cook 100,000 pieces of toast.
15. The human eye can detect 10 million different shades of color.
16. Humans have the same number of hair follicles as chimpanzees.
17. The average person who lives to be 75 will have spent six years dreaming.
18. There is more information in one edition of the New York Times than the average person in 17th century England would have come across in a lifetime.
19. There are about 6,900 languages in existence but more than half the world’s population uses only 20 of them.
20. Sending a man to the Moon and finding Osama Bin Laden cost the US government about the same amount of time and money: ten years and $100 billion.
21. Every human being starts out as an asshole; it’s the first part of the body to form in the womb.
Don’t Miss These Recent Posts
Making Your Book Promotable – Before It Is Published
FAQ ON BOOK PUBLICITY
10 Ways To Get A Media Hit
Why Aren’t There Any Signs Of Books On The Road?
Sell Books Where They Don’t – Including Funeral Homes, Police Stations & Hair Salons
What Can You Do With Old, But Underexposed Content?
The Role Of Money In Book Publicity
What Is Your Attitude Towards Book Publicity?
How Can Authors Measure Social Media Success?
25 Ways For Authors To Break Through & Establish A Legacy
Do You Market Your Books Doggy Style?
Brian Feinblum’s views, opinions, and ideas expressed in this blog are his alone and not that of his employer, the nation’s largest book promoter. You can follow him on Twitter @theprexpert and email him at email@example.com. He feels more important when discussed in the third-person. This is copyrighted by BookMarketingBuzzBlog © 2013