Follow by Email

Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Greatest Book List is Impossible & Faulty



While recently searching for lists of great books and all-time classics, I had to confront a number of concerns and issues, including these:

·         Who got to choose such a designation for a book and what credentials do they have?

·         What criteria was employed to come up with these lists?

·         How did the individual members of a group draw a consensus – was it negotiated, debated or just voted on?

·         How often should such a list be reviewed and edited to determine which books fade into irrelevance in favor or newer, perhaps better ones?

·         How many books did the group members read?  What did they consult to gain insight on books worthy of their consideration?

It’s certainly hard to compare books from one generation to another – and it’s difficult to keep up with the torrent of books produced today (more than 1,000 every 24 hours from traditional publishers).  Further, you have human bias tossed into the equation.  

Is there really a good method by which to truly judge which books are best?

There are some metrics that could be used, but each has its shortfalls.  Let’s take a look:

Sales
Do we judge a book based on being a bestseller?  If so, which lists do we look at?  What about total sales of a book – including those that aren’t verified by bestseller lists?  Is popularity enough of a reason to judge a book?  If so, Fifty Shades of Grey would rank very high, but no one is confusing that with the works of Shakespeare.

Social Media
This more recent invention can give us statistical analysis on how often a book is tweeted, liked, or discussed on a platform such as YouTube.  But those could be negative comments or they can be pushed by an assertive author.  Again, such a measurement doesn’t indicate quality.

News Media
Should we rank a book high because it was well-reviewed by traditional or respected media?  Self-published or smaller independent presses produce some great books but the major media doesn’t always give ink to them.  They choose to review books that big publishers produce (perceived bias) or the ones from publishers who tend to finance their publication through advertising.

Awards
Which awards – and how many of them – must a writer win or place high in to get a ranking worthy of greatness?  What is the application and selection process like at each award?  Some awards are politically driven. Others select from a pool of paid applicants, thus limiting others from participating.  Further, what bias exists for the judges, and how many books do they have time to read or review?  If a thousand books were submitted to an award, this represents eight hours of publishing’s productivity.  Based on 3,000 books published daily – from traditional to self-published – the award is only looking at a tiny fraction of all books released that year.  Even then, who has time to read all of them in order to make a legitimate judgment?

Impact
It’s too soon to judge the socio-political impact a book could have on society during the first year of a book’s existence, so time would be needed to see how a book influences others and touches the world.  It would admittedly be difficult to quantify a book’s global impact.

Testimonials
If a lot of people who are well-known, credentialed experts, and trusted individuals come out in support of a book, should weight be given to them to determine a book’s greatness? How do we rate the testimonial-givers or the testimonials?

Experts
Do our intelligent, trained, educated and experienced librarians, readers, editors,teachers – and even other authors – serve best to determine a book’s greatness?  Who has the time to participate in judging and ranking books?

Let’s say each method is faulty, but relevant to be used in combination with one another to draw some kind of limited conclusion about a select number of books from each year’s production of books.  Now take the list of the year’s best books, break it down by genre, and tell me how many books should be on this list.  Now compare one year’s list to another and another and another. After just 50 years you would have thousands of books on the list.  Now look back into the centuries past.  A conservative list of all-time books could easily total 10,000.

If you read a book a week, in 200 years you would get through a list that would by then have likely doubled or tripled in size.  The process, as you can see, to create any list is limited by time, subjectivity, money, experience, training, and politics.  This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to put such a list together, for something to guide us is better than nothing at all, but we should realize these lists are faulty and need improvement.

However, if you want to see what some of the perceived experts say are some of the best books of all time, take a look at these randomly and subjectively chosen links:






My favorites?  As A Man Thinketh, Man's Search for Meaning, and most works by Leo Buscaglia, Dale Carnegie, George Orwell, Joseph Heller, Norman Vincent Peale , Og Mandino, Stephen Covey,  Ken Blanchard, Tony Robbins, and gosh, a hundred other writers just from this past century would occupy a list by themselves.

What do you believe are the best books ever?

DON’T MISS: ALL NEW RESOURCE OF THE YEAR

2015 Book PR & Marketing Toolkit: All New



Brian Feinblum’s views, opinions, and ideas expressed in this blog are his alone and not that of his employer. You can follow him on Twitter @theprexpert and email him at brianfeinblum@gmail.com. He feels more important when discussed in the third-person. This is copyrighted by BookMarketingBuzzBlog © 2015

4 comments:

  1. Getting my Ex back

    my name is Andrew Wheeler from England i had a problem with my wife sometimes ago but never knew what the problem was,i tried to asked her but she refused to tell,me what it was as time goes on i discovered she was having an affair with a friend of mine that happens to be my best friend,i was so sad that i never knew what to do next,during my search for a way out i met a friend of mine who had similar problem and introduced me to a man who helped him with his situation,on getting to the man i discovered he was a spell caster i was shocked because i have not had anything to do with a spell caster in my entire life so i tried to give this man a chance cos i never believed in spell casting as i thought it will not work for me but to my surprise i got positive results and i was able to get my wife back from him even after the spell caster did all i discovered my wife fell much more in love with me on like before so i was so happy that i never know what to do for him so i am using this opportunity to tell anyone on this blog having similar problem visit okokospellcaster@gmail.com ..i am sure he will help you.and you can call him on this number +27846257323

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lover dumped me for another woman, and i was divorce by my husband with my two son after 8 years of marriage, and also i really love him, so i contacted Doctor Ekpiku for a love spell to get my Husband back, to my greatest surprise he cast a love binding spell to get him back for me and my lover came back after 48 hours. i will advice you anyone looking for any kind of spell should contact Doctor Ekpiku via email address: Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. BE CAREFUL HERE NOBODY CAN HELP YOU HERE OR EVEN SUGGEST HOW YOU CAN GET YOUR EX OR LOVE BACK,ANY TESTIMONIES OF MOST SPELL CASTER HERE MUST BE IGNORE.BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE SCAM I MEAN REAL SCAM WHICH I WAS A VICTIM AND I GOT RIPPED OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS BECAUSE I WAS SO ANXIOUS TO GET MY WIFE BACK AFTER SHE LEFT ME FOR OVER 2 YEARS WITH MY 7 YEARS OLD SON JERRY,I HAVE APPLIED TO 7 DIFFERENT SPELL CASTER HERE AND ALL TO NO AVAIL THEY ALL ASK FOR SAME THING SEND YOUR NAME YOUR EX NAME ADDRESS AND PICTURE PHONE NUMBER ETC WHICH I DID OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND MOST OF THEM WERE FROM WEST AFRICA UNTIL I SAW A POST ABOUT MAMA ANITA SPELL AND I DECIDED TO GAVE HER MY LAST TRAIL.SHE ASK ME FOUR THINGS MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND $380 AND SAID MY EX WILL COME BACK IN 24HOURS, I HAVE PAID OVER $3000 ON SPELL CASTING AND COURIER AND NOTHING HAVE WORK FOR ME AFTER 3 DAYS I WAS THINKING ABOUT HOW MUCH I HAVE LOST SO FAR SO I SAID LET ME GIVE HER A TRY SO I CALLED HER AGAIN AND SEND MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND THE $380 BECAUSE I SWEAR IT WAS MY LAST TRY SO I WAS WAITING AS SHE TOLD ME TO WAIT TILL NEXT DAY AND I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT BECAUSE I REALLY LOVE MY WIFE AND WANT HER BACK AT 9PM THAT DAY I SAW MY WIFE ON LINE ON FACE BOOK AND SHE SAID HI AT FIRST I WAS SHOCK BECAUSE SHE NEVER TALK WITH ME FOR THE PAST A YEAR AND 9 MONTH NOW I DID NOT REPLY AGAIN SHE SAID ARE YOU THERE? I QUICKLY REPLY YES AND SHE SAID CAN WE SEE TOMORROW I SAID YES AND SHE WENT OFF-LINE I WAS CONFUSED I TRY TO CHAT HER AGAIN BUT SHE WAS NO MORE ON LINE I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT AS I WAS WONDERING WHAT SHE IS GOING TO SAY, BY 7.AM THE NEXT MORNING SHE GAVE ME A MISS CALL I DECIDED NOT TO CALL BACK AS I WAS STILL ON SHOCK AGAIN SHE CALL AND I PICK SHE SAID CAN WE SEE AFTER WORK TODAY I SAID YES SO SHE END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY I GOT OFF WORK SHE CALL ME AND WE MEET AND NOW WE ARE BACK AGAIN I CALL MAMA ANITA THE NEXT DAY THANKING HER FOR WHAT SHE HAS DONE IN FACT I STILL CALL HER AND THANK HER AS MY LIFE WAS NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT MY WIFE PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE I HAVE BEEN SCAM THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IF YOU WANT A TRUE LOVE SPELL THEN CONTACT MAMA ANITA (mamaanita.lovespellsolution@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete