Size Of U.S. Publishing Industry In Publisher Net Unit Sales
Revenue If Those Publishers
- Lauren, what does it feel like to be a NYT best-selling author? Oh! Well, I mean, of course it feels incredible. Also very surreal. It still makes me squirm to go into bookstores and see my books on display!
- What is your most recent book called? What is it about? My most recent book is called Liesl & Po, and it's a novel for middle-grade readers (although I think it has broader appeal!). It's about a girl, a ghost, and a box containing the greatest magic in the world. The website is here: www.lieslandpo.com.
- What do you love about writing books? I love living in a world of my own creation; it's nice to be able to retreat somewhere safe whenever you like. And I love working from my pajamas!
- Where do you see the book publishing landscape heading? I'm excited to see the opportunities that an increased reliance on digital books brings, in terms of multimedia storytelling and direct-to-consumer serialization. But I do think publishers will always have a role, even if in the end they end up being more the "tastemakers"--people who sort and distribute content, in whatever form this content assumes.
- What advice do you have for authors looking to breakthrough? Just keep at it! That's what every writer says, but it's really the only relevant advice there is. Keep reading, keep writing, keep sending out your materials.