Follow by Email

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Top Publishers Of The World


According to a list of the top 50 publishers of the world, released by Publishers Weekly (July 2nd issue), 10 are based in the United States. The second closest country is Germany, with seven. Japan has seven as well. France has five. The UK has four, including the top two spots.

The top American-based publishers are:

·        Thompson Reuters
·        McGraw-Hill
·        Scholastic
·        Cengage
·        Wiley
·        Reader’s Digest
·        Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
·        Harper Collins
·        Simon & Schuster
·        Perseus

Only two out of the top 11 publishers showed an increase in revenue from 2010 to 2011. Only 23 publishers grossed at least one billion in revenue in 2011, up two from 2010.

So what does all of this mean? Publishers cross boundaries. They sell all over the world or they have divisions and branches all over the world. It is hard to say what is foreign vs. American. Random House, the biggest trade publisher in the US, is owned by Bertelsman AG in Germany. Plus books, especially full-color ones, are often printed overseas in Spain or China.

Publishing is definitely an international industry. Authors need to think more on how to sell their books – or the rights to their books – overseas. Good content translates well.

But the next time you query a publisher for a book deal you might just ink it in another language.





News Flash: Brian Feinblum Is Interviewed By Writers and Authors Blog


Interview With Award-Winning Children's Author Donna McDine

What is your new book about? Powder Monkey is a historical fiction children’s story book for ages 8-12. Synopsis: Forced into a life at sea by the Royal Navy Press Gangs, 12-year-old Tommy Kitt finds himself in a floating sea of misery. Poor living conditions and beatings occur daily. Despite his runt like size, Tommy must summon the courage and physical ability to prevail in a situation he cannot escape.

What inspired you to write it? I have always been interested in history, both American and abroad. When a publisher announced a call for historical fiction manuscripts for 8-12 years of age I jumped at the opportunity. Intrigued and dismayed about the history of press gangs for the Royal Navy in the late 1700s I began my research and created fictional characters within the true occurrences of impressments.

What was the writing process like for this book? I researched this topic through the library database and requested non-fictions books to be held for my in-person research sessions. This saves a lot of time prior to my arrival so I can get right down to the task at hand. I always leave my cell phone at home when researching at the library or elsewhere (or at least in the car) so I’m not interrupted and don’t disturb other library patrons. The peaceful atmosphere with no distractions is a true Godsend.

Reading, studying, and taking extensive notes on the late 1700s Royal Navy and press gangs material was instrumental in developing the accurate details. I then moved onto doing the same type of research with different types of historical fiction children’s book to create believable characters to be intertwined into the historical facts bringing Powder Monkey to life.

What are the rewards/challenges of writing in your genre? The rewards are immense…from watching the wonder of learning spreading across a child’s face to teachers and parents saying they too learned something new through my books.

Hmmm, challenges? Knowing when to stop my research without getting too overloaded. My research notes are highlighted and earmarked to the hilt with my storyline index cards riddled with thumbtack holes from the constant arranging the sequence of action on my bulletin board.

What advice do you have for struggling writers? Don’t be swayed by the naysayers. Learn your craft by attending writer’s workshops and conferences in the genre you write in. If travel is difficult, join an online writer’s group such as, the Working Writer’s Club www.workingwritersclub.com. It’s imperative to join at least one critique group that will provide constructive critiques. And of course, read, read, and read a lot in the genre you are most interested in. You will be amazed what techniques you will pick up and write true to your own voice.

Where do you see book publishing heading? I tend to titter back and forth between print and my iPad. While I enjoy the ease of my iPad for luxury reading, I like the good old print copy for reference books such as Yes, You Can Build a Successful Writing Career by Nancy I. Sanders or The Frugal Book Promoter by Carolyn Howard Johnson. This way I can highlight and earmark what I find to be the most useful for my freelance writing career.

As for the direction, it’s my humble opinion we will continue to evolve even further with eBooks, but print will still be in demand. There’s nothing like holding a new book and opening it for the first time. The smell and feel to me is like climbing into a new car. Ahh, can’t you smell the delightful aroma of fresh pages wafting to your senses!

For more information, please consult: http://www.donnamcdine.com


Brian Feinblum’s views, opinions, and ideas expressed in this blog are his alone and not that of his employer, the nation’s largest book promoter. You can follow him on Twitter @theprexpert and email him at brianfeinblum@gmail.com. He feels more important when discussed in the third-person.

21 comments:

  1. Hi Brian,

    Thank you for your interest and taking the time out to interview me. It's a joy to be here.

    Interesting stats of the publishing industry.

    All the best,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Brian and Donna!

    Donna, I absolutely love my ipad as well. I must confess I don't miss at all print books. The reason is that it's so much more relaxing for my eyes being able to make the font larger. Even with my glasses, the standard print book is a real strain for my eyes. I also love being able to carry with me dozens and dozens of books at a time. :-)

    Mayra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific interview of Donna, and I enjoyed reading it very much. Also, it was fun to read this blog, Brian, and I'll be back! All best wishes, Donna with your marvelous new book. Can't wait to read it! Thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mayra and Nancy,

    Thanks for stopping by to visit and for your lovely comments! When the iPad first came out I got chatting with someone on the beach that had one (my girls were mortified I would talk to a stranger, so much for telling them not to talk to strangers) and asked him all about it. I think after all my talk about the iPad my husband went out and brought me one to just to get me to stop talking about it.

    All the best,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donna and Brian, It sounds like you have another winner coming out. I love history, too. Getting kids interested in the lives, struggles, and successes of youth from our Anglo-American heritage is important for them to learn about our shared past. How young people solve problems while growing up is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penelope,

      Thanks for stopping by and for your support! I agree with you!

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Hi Donna and Brian. I don't own an I-Pad. Since reading your interview, perhaps time I convert. Thank you for sharing this interview.

    All the best,
    Linda Della Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      Definitely treat yourself. Just read in the paper yesterday that they are coming out with a new iPad in the fall, smaller and cheaper to compete with other e-book readers in price.

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Great stats to introduce your interview, Donna. Loved the details you offered mate. Great interview.

    *Books for Kids – Manuscript Critiques
    http://www.margotfnke.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margot,

      Glad you enjoyed the interview and stats intro. I appreciate you stopping by and visiting.

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  8. Hi Donna and Brian,
    Great interview. I love historical fiction so am looking forward to your new book. I too often turn my phone off...when I'm working, having lunch with a friend, etc. I was self-employed for years and the concept of constant access to anyone drove me nuts. It's much easier to be productive when you control your interruptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Jo,

      As my dad always says, it's important to turn off they technology and decompress. I've been getting much better at it. Thrilled you like historical fiction, may I put you on my reviewer list for Powder Monkey?

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  9. Awesome interview, Donna! Your new book sounds amazing! And what a fascinating period of history this must have been for you to research. Thanks also for the plug for my book, YES! YOU CAN LEARN HOW TO WRITE CHILDREN'S BOOKS, GET THEM PUBLISHED, AND BUILD A SUCCESSFUL WRITING CAREER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,

      Thanks for visiting and for your wonderful words of support! Truly fascinating I had to actual force myself to stop researching and get down to the writing.

      You are very welcome...your book has become like a "bible" for me...thanks!

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  10. Donna, Wonderful interview. Your new book sounds so interesting. I love historical fiction and it's a great way to teach children. Great advice for struggling authors also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Thanks for visiting and for your heartwarming words of support!

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  11. Donna, Wonderful interview. Brian your new book sounds exciting. It sounds like a daunting task, I think I may start with a historical magazine piece.

    I agree with you about new books. As a kid, I thought I was the only one that knew there was a wonderful fragrance to a newly printed book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marge,

      I'm delighted you enjoyed the interview. Brian is a gracious host. I too love the feel and smell of a new print book.

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  12. I love books that reveal a bit of history. This one sounds very interesting and I'd like to read it. Thanks for featuring the author, Donna.

    I also really appreciated the information about the publishing houses. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee,

      Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your support. If I may I'd like to place you on my book reviewer list.

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  13. I just read in interview with Mark Coaker in Forbes Magazine. He refers to print books as "quaint." I had to laugh. How quickly this business is changing! I still love my print books, but I'm totally in love with my Kindle and all the books I can download and carry with me. I guess I'm a hybrid book lover and I'm sure many people are.

    Loved the information about how international this industry is becoming. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete