Author of Online Marketing for Busy Authors
- There really is no better time to be an author. Social
media has changed the publishing landscape. Now, for the first time in the
history of publishing, authors have direct access to their readers. While
there is more competition in the marketplace today, there are also more
opportunities for authors than ever before. Authors can now reach their
audiences directly with the accessibility of social media.
- I've learned that a long-term strategy is necessary for
an author to successfully build and grow his or her brand.
- It's so important for authors to identify their
specific audience so they can create a book and a message that helps them.
As you can imagine, the authors I work with want their books to sell well.
The key to marketing success is to find your ideal audience and serve them
better than anyone else.
- Think of your book and brand as a business. You're not
going to be good at some things. Get help in those areas, and do your best
work where you can.
- Go for quality over quantity. When I talk with
authors/clients about their online marketing plan, I always tell them to
go for quality over quantity. Engagement is much more valuable than the
number of followers. While we all love the instant gratification of
getting 1,000 shares and 10,000 followers, it's better to aim for quality
relationships of give and take with readers. Quality followers are people
who are engaged with your work and they are interested in what you have to
- Publicity (or media attention) is important for any
business. I once thought a well-written press release would be the ideal
way to help authors get the word out about their books to the press. I
quickly learned that the best relationships (with media or anyone) are
never developed with a one-size fits all approach. I now advise authors
(or anyone trying to get media attention) to contact each editor
individually and customize their message to that person. Yes, it takes
more time but it's so much more valuable than a blanket approach.
- Write a blog with content of value and do so
- Have a professional website.
- Consider offering a free resource, tip sheet or ebook
for your community to sign up to your list.
- Start conversing with people online who are in your
- Blog for sites with a big following.
- Start a Facebook business page.
Why do you want to become a best-selling author?
Do you want to become a speaker?
Did you write a book to grow your business?
Do you hope to inspire or help someone?
- Is a way to consistently find your community.
- Can showcase your value by giving your audience a
sampling of the content you create.
- Keeps your site up to date.
- Positions your expertise.