Follow by Email

Friday, August 16, 2013

Attitude & Book Publicity



PILLAR FIVE:  ATTITUDE & BOOK PUBLICITY

In order to succeed at PR, you need to have the right attitude. Optimism is a must. Persistence, too. You need a nothing-to-lose attitude. You have little to risk in promoting your book – but you risk a lot by not. If you want a shot at getting beyond obscurity, you will be a promoter.

You need to be willing to invest your time and money – and to make a mental commitment to PR.  When you display confidence, others believe in and like you. When you act with energy and enthusiasm, people gravitate towards you. When you express something with conviction, people begin to believe in you.

You will sell yourself, not the book. You will sell a story, not the book.  You will sell a benefit, not a feature.  Be positive and pro-active – know that you can do this.

That said, be prepared for rejection – writers know something about that. Expect to be ignored at least 75% of the time you call or email the media. And of the remaining 25%, expect to be declined 85% of the time. But you are looking for a handful of people to say yes.

Don’t worry about who says no. Build on your successes.

Even a bad review could have a good pull quote.

Be of the belief that no publicity is bad publicity.

You may think an interview went poorly, but you are not objective. You are too close to it – maybe it was not so bad.

Do not let ego lead you into thinking you don’t need to be helpful, involved, or assertive – roll up your sleeves. Don’t let your past record -- good or bad – determine your efforts now. Don’t allow what you hear from other authors to taint or deter you. Don’t be jealous of others or think everyone has a hit but you. And don’t think that no one ever breaks through. You must think big and dream and to go beyond your reach. And you must think small and go after what’s reachable.

Set clear objectives for yourself and identify reasonable goals. It is okay to have a wish list, but don’t hold yourself to it.

You need brains, resources, hard work, timing – and luck – which comes from all the other things and a never-give-up, can-do spirit. That said, know when to pack it in or consider re-tooling and re-launching your book. Or make time to move on to your next book.

Whatever you do, try to enjoy the process. Being a writer is special and seeing your book talked about is like no other feeling.
Don’t Miss These Recent Posts

25 Ways For Authors To Break Through & Establish A Legacy

Can You Market & Promote Books Like TV’s Dexter?

Evolving As A book Marketer & Publicist

Winning The Battle Over Internet Book Piracy

26 Ways To Save Barnes & Noble

12 Hot Topics For Authors, Bloggers, Journalists

The Bestseller That Never Was

Do  You Market Your Books Doggy Style?

Does Your Book Blog Do These 16 Things?



Writers Read This: You Are Marketers

Why Authors – and Publicists & Publishers Need A Therapist

Brian Feinblum’s views, opinions, and ideas expressed in this blog are his alone and not that of his employer, the nation’s largest book promoter. You can follow him on Twitter @theprexpert and email him at brianfeinblum@gmail.com. He feels more important when discussed in the third-person. This is copyrighted by BookMarketingBuzzBlog © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment