Readers' Choice Book Awards Bronze Winner, Adult Nonfiction
BookFest 2026 First-Place Award Winner, Self-Discovery & Travel Journals
2026 Nonfiction Book Awards Silver Winner
2026 Finalist for Author of the Year, International Impact Book Awards
2026 Indie Reader Discovery Award Winner, Best Travel Book
2026 Gold Winner, Independent Publisher Book Awards, Travel—Essay
2026 Winner, International Book Awards, Autobiography/Memoir
1. What inspired you to
write this book?
I was inspired by a devastating
loss. My wife, Jackie, died in a tragic accident in Africa in 2017, just as we
were entering a new stage of life together. After months of intense grief and
loneliness, I began traveling again. At first, travel was a way to escape a
home filled with memories, but gradually it became a form of healing.
The turning point came during my
trip to Afghanistan, a year after the Taliban takeover. Instead of fear, I felt
curiosity and an unexpected connection with the people I met. I realized I
wasn’t simply searching for countries, I was searching for human stories. That
was when I knew I needed to write this book.
- What
exactly is it about and who is it written for?
Belonging to the World is a memoir
about my quest to travel to every country on Earth and the emotional journey
that accompanied it, from grief and disconnection to renewed purpose and
belonging.
But it isn’t simply a travel book or
a checklist of countries. It is about the people I met, especially in places
such as Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, and Sudan, countries most of us know
primarily through headlines about war and danger. Those encounters challenged
my assumptions and expanded my understanding of humanity.
The book is for travelers,
certainly, but also for anyone facing loss, transition, loneliness, or the need
to begin again. You don’t have to travel to every country, or even very far, to
recognize yourself in that search.
- What
do you hope readers will get out of reading your book?
I hope readers come away believing
that renewed purpose is possible after loss. Grief may permanently change us,
but it does not have to be the end of our story.
I also hope the book encourages
readers to look beyond headlines and approach unfamiliar people and places with
curiosity rather than fear. There is real danger and suffering in the world,
but there is also profound beauty in listening to people, respecting their
dignity, and trying to understand lives different from our own.
Most of all, I hope readers feel
inspired to take their own first step, whether that means traveling,
reconnecting with others, or simply becoming more open to the world. The world
can change us if we let it.
- How
did you decide on your book’s title and cover design?
The title came from the central
realization of my journey. After losing Jackie, I felt disconnected from the
life and future I had known. Through travel, and especially through the
connections I formed with people around the globe, I gradually developed a
sense of belonging to something much larger than myself. I came to feel that I
belonged not only to one home or community, but to the world.
The cover reflects that emotional
journey. The open landscape, distant horizon, and warm light suggest both
travel and renewal. It captures the idea of emerging from darkness, looking
outward, and discovering that another beginning may still be waiting.
- What
advice or words of wisdom do you have for fellow writers other than run!?
Don’t wait until you know exactly
what the story means before you begin writing it. Sometimes writing is how you
discover the meaning.
Be honest, especially when the truth
is uncomfortable, but remember that a memoir should offer the reader more than
a record of what happened to you. Ask what your experience might illuminate for
someone else.
I would also say: stay curious.
Listen carefully to other people, question your own assumptions, and be willing
to revise—not only your sentences, but your understanding of the story. And
accept that writing something meaningful requires vulnerability, persistence,
and a great deal of patience.
- What
trends in the book world do you see and where do you think publishing is
heading?
Readers now discover and experience
books in many different ways, through print, e-books, audiobooks, podcasts,
interviews, and online communities. Audiobooks are an especially significant
area of growth.
At the same time, I believe readers
still want something timeless: authentic stories that help them understand
lives beyond their own. As our world becomes more divided and much of our
information is reduced to alarming headlines or brief social-media posts, books
offer the space to slow down, listen, and develop empathy.
Publishing formats will continue to
evolve, but our need for compelling human stories will remain.
- Were
there experiences in your personal life or career that came in handy when
writing this book?
Nearly every part of my life
contributed to it. I grew up in a traditional Iraqi-Jewish family in Southern
California, and my mother was born in Baghdad, so the Middle East always held a
particular pull for me. My first backpacking trip to Europe at 18 awakened a
curiosity about the wider world that never left me.
My career at J.P. Morgan took me
around the globe and helped develop my adaptability, resilience, and comfort in
unfamiliar environments. My humanitarian work through Caravan to Class also
taught me the importance of listening to people and understanding their lives
on their own terms.
Most importantly, loving and losing
Jackie gave the book its emotional foundation. The Bourse Jackie scholarship
program, which supports women in West Africa, also connects the book’s story to
her legacy.
- How
would you describe your writing style? Which writers or books is your
writing similar to?
I would describe my style as
reflective, candid, and people-centered. The book combines travel narrative
with memoir, history, culture, and personal reflection. I try to bring readers
into the immediacy of a place while also exploring what each encounter taught
me about grief, connection, and our shared humanity.
Rather than presenting myself as a
heroic adventurer, I try to remain curious and honest about my assumptions, including
the occasions when the people I met forced me to reconsider them. The book
belongs to the tradition of reflective travel memoirs in which the external
journey becomes an internal one. Ultimately, though, I hope the voice feels
distinctly my own.
- What
challenges did you overcome in writing this book?
The greatest challenge was returning
to the most painful period of my life. Writing about Jackie meant revisiting
the phone call that changed everything, the shock that followed, and the
loneliness of trying to imagine a future without her.
There was also the challenge of
shaping an enormous journey, 72 new countries, more than 600,000 miles, and
hundreds of encounters, into a coherent story. I had to look beyond the
statistics and decide what the journey was actually about.
Finally, I wanted to avoid turning
the people I met into background characters in my adventure. Their stories
deserved care, dignity, and context. The challenge was to tell my own story
while honoring theirs.
- If
people can buy or read one book this week or month, why should it be
yours?
I would never claim that one book is
right for everyone, but I believe Belonging to the World offers something
urgently needed: a hopeful, firsthand view of our shared humanity.
It takes readers beyond the
headlines and into encounters with people whose warmth, dignity, humor, and
generosity are often missing from the stories told about their countries. It is
also an honest account of grief and the possibility of finding renewed purpose
at any stage of life.
And the book has an impact beyond
its pages: 100 percent of the proceeds support scholarships for women in West
Africa through the Bourse Jackie program, created in my wife’s name. So reading
it becomes part of a continuing story of connection and opportunity.
About The Author: After a 15-year career in investment banking that took him around the world, Barry transitioned into a second career farming grapes and olives. His Silverwood Ranch olive oil has earned multiple gold medals, and his wine grapes have been bottled into Francis Ford Coppola’s Archimedes wine. Today, Barry is the founder of Caravan to Class, a nonprofit he launched in 2010 to advance girls’ education in West Africa through the Bourse Jackie program, named in honor of his late wife. His book, Belonging to the World (Girl Friday Books), chronicles his journey to every country in the world following Jackie’s tragic passing in Africa in late 2017. Barry is passionate about the world and has visited 192 of 193 countries, earning distinction of Most Purposeful Traveler 2025 (NomadMania Annual Traveler Awards). For more information, please see www.belongingtotheworld.com or www.caravantoclass.org
Marketing Help?
Brian
Feinblum can be reached at brianfeinblum@gmail.com He is available to help authors like you to promote
your story, sell your book, and grow your brand. He has over 30 years of
experience in successfully helping thousands of authors in all genres. Let him
be your advocate, teacher, and motivator!
About Brian Feinblum
This award-winning blog has generated over
8,200,000 page views. With nearly 5,700+ posts over the past 15 years, it was
named one of the best book marketing blogs by BookBaby http://blog.bookbaby.com/2013/09/the-best-book-marketing-blogs and recognized by Feedspot in 2026, 2021
and 2018 as one of the top book marketing blogs. It was also named by www.WinningWriters.com as a "best resource.” Copyright 2026.
For
the past three decades, Brian Feinblum has helped thousands of authors. He
formed his own book publicity firm in 2020. Prior to that, for 21 years as the
head of marketing for the nation’s largest book publicity firm, and as the
director of publicity at two independent presses, Brian has worked with many
first-time, self-published, authors of all genres, right along with
best-selling authors and celebrities such as: Dr. Ruth, Mark Victor Hansen,
Joseph Finder, Katherine Spurway, Neil Rackham, Harvey Mackay, Ken Blanchard,
Stephen Covey, Warren Adler, Cindy Adams, Todd Duncan, Susan RoAne, John C.
Maxwell, Jeff Foxworthy, Seth Godin, and Henry Winkler.
His
writings are often featured in The Writer and IBPA’s
The Independent (https://pubspot.ibpa-online.org/article/whats-needed-to-promote-a-book-successfully) and (https://pubspot.ibpa-online.org/article/10-things-my-dog-taught-me-about-marketing-books). He was recently interviewed by the IBPA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0BhO9m8jbs
He
hosted a panel on book publicity for Book Expo America several years ago, and
has spoken at ASJA, three times at BookCAMP, Independent Book Publishers
Association, Sarah Lawrence College, Nonfiction Writers Association, Cape Cod
Writers Association, Willamette (Portland) Writers Association, APEX, five
times at Morgan James Publishing Red Carpet, and Connecticut Authors and
Publishers Association. He served as a judge for the 2024 IBPA Book Awards.
His
letters-to-the-editor have been published in The Wall Street Journal,
USA Today, New York Post, NY Daily News, Newsday, The Journal News (Westchester)
and The Washington Post. His first published book was The
Florida Homeowner, Condo, & Co-Op Association Handbook. It
was featured in The Sun Sentinel and Miami Herald.
Born
and raised in Brooklyn, he now resides in Westchester with his wife, two kids,
and Ferris, a black lab rescue dog, and El Chapo, a pug rescue dog.
You
can connect with him at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brianfeinblum/ or https://www.facebook.com/brian.feinblum

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.