Thursday, March 23, 2017
Interview With Author Rodi Szoke
Our Young Guardians: Seven & Two
1. What really inspired you to write your book, to force you from taking an idea or experience and conveying it into a book? One day, when my daughter was about three years old. She asked me why I had to lock the doors of our house at night. She caught me entirely unprepared, so I couldn’t offer an answer that wouldn’t have alarmed her. She left me standing there thinking about how unprepared I was to talk with her about difficult subjects. That night I thought about writing a story for my daughter as another avenue to share with her some key life lessons.
2. What is it about and whom do you believe is your targeted reader? Seven & Two is the first installment of the Our Young Guardians fantasy series. This is the story of a group of children that lived a long time ago and had to leave their families to join a quest against a dark army, against evil. Through their adventures, we not only learn about their struggles in that fight, but also how they faced the challenges of going through adolescence by themselves. We see them developing friendships, finding love, but also facing tough issues, such as addiction, discrimination, parenthood, etc. I think children 10 and up will greatly enjoy it. Lately, I’ve received communications from readers of all ages asking me about the next installment.
3. What do you hope will be the everlasting thoughts for readers who finish your book? What should remain with them long after putting it down? First, I’d hope they’ve had a great time reading it. A message that I’ve tried to convey throughout the book is how important it is to teach our young ones what is truly important in life (friendship, love, helping others in need, to enjoy and take care of our world, etc.) If we do that, hopefully they will start to see others with their hearts instead of their eyes. We must help them become the pillars of the next generations, but we have to be careful not to make them grow too fast.
4. What advice or words of wisdom do you have for fellow writers? Let your heart take control of your writing. Once he is done, ask your brain for his opinion.
5. What trends in the book world do you see and where do you think the book publishing industry is heading? I am new to the publishing world, but I can say that nowadays are more avenues for authors to expose their art. Traditional publishing is still a very solid platform, but self-publishing and electronic formats are carrying the words of new and seasoned artists to places very difficult to reach before. I think it’s exciting.
6. What great challenges did you have in writing your book? Finding time to write was always a challenge for me due to my day job. It took me twelve years to publish this first novel, but I am right on track to complete and publish the second installment by year end.
7. If people can only buy one book this month, why should it be yours? I believe this book is a well-rounded mix of fantasy, adventure, magic and love. If readers would like to see how common children fight for an entire world while growing up on their own, then this is the book for them.
Rodi Szoke was born in Mexico City but now lives with his family in Texas. His ancestry blends Hungarian and Mexican heritages across generations. He earned his bachelor’s degree in information technology in 1991 and has worked in that field ever since. Early in his life, Rodi developed a keen interest in fantasy and sci-fi adventures, making him grow into an avid moviegoer and casual gamer. Seven & Two is his debut novel. For more information, please see: https://www.rodibooks.com.